Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sweep Away the Monsters


A couple of weeks ago after reading the book "Where the Wild Things Are" a few too many times, Ethan started having nightmares about monsters. He would wake up in the middle of the night, screaming, "the monsters are going to eat me all gone". Not fun, especially at 2am. Then it got to the point that he didn't want to go to bed either. He told me that the monsters were under his bed waiting for him. Where he got this idea from, I haven't a clue, but if there is one thing that I don't deal well with, it is bedtime battles. By the time I finish work, drive home, make dinner and clean up, the last thing I can handle is having a child that won't go to bed. So I set out to find a solution.

Luckily, one of my colleagues had a great one: the monster broom. I was armed with a new plan.

That night, I got a small broom out of the closet and shared my new knowledge with Ethan. "Ethan, mommy's friend at work told her that monsters are afraid of brooms. Right now we are going to sweep all of the monsters out of your room. Afterwards, we will leave the broom by your dresser so that they stay away. FOREVER."

I have to say, he looked a little skeptical when I swept the floor, but he did make sure I got underneath the whole bed. That night, when I tucked him in, I reminded him that the broom would keep the monsters away all night long. And voila, he went right to sleep, and didn't wake all night long. Amazing. Since then we have not had any issues. I am forever indebted my friend for the brilliant idea that allowed me to resume a peaceful night's sleep. Now lets hope he doesn't learn about witches!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I just got that book from the library! I emphasize the point that Max and the monsters are friends and that they are all smiling while having fun.

    Also: Ethan definitely knows about witches b/c when he was over at our house, I was reading both of them a Halloween book and EThan pointed at the witch and said, "Ethan scared that". THereafter, Cruz would say, "Ethan scared that and Cruz too!". I don't think the witch was riding a broom though so I think you're okay for now!

    ReplyDelete