She's here!
Alaina Madeline Greenberg
Born 1/11/13 at 7:14 am
Weighing in at 6 pounds, 15 oz
20 inches long!
So it has been a rocky few days, like I suppose it always is when you have a newborn. But things are getting better now, she is gaining weight, my milk has come in, and she is less jaundiced......and I am adjusting to being up at night!
First the story of her birth:
I had really been enjoying my week off and lots of rest. On Thursday Jason was not scheduled to work, so we took Ethan into the city for school and had a yummy brunch at Banker and Banker, home of the famous cinnamon rolls! Then we decided to see Les Mis....enjoyed the movie a lot, though it was LONG to sit through with my big belly. Then to my non-stress test....baby looked great, and I was having contractions every 5-7 minutes--but they didn't hurt. So we picked up Ethan and headed home for dinner.
After Ethan went to bed, the contractions were feeling a bit stronger, but still not really hurting....nonetheless, Jason decided to call his parents to come down and spend the night, "just in case", so they wouldn't have to make the 40 minute trek in the middle of the night.
By the time they arrived, the contractions were more frequent, but still not too strong, so I tried to go to sleep....but their intensity increased and we decided we had better head into the hospital--Jason was in no mood to deliver the baby on the golden gate bridge.
Glad we headed in when we did, because as I was walking from the parking lot into the hospital, my water broke! Got checked in, got my epidural and continued to wait. By 6:45, it was time to push, and she was born a half-hour later! Amazingly, I had a very similar course with Ethan, going to the hospital around midnight, and having Ethan at 7:43 am!
She was vigorous when she arrived and our hearts immediately melted! Not sure who she looks like yet, maybe a little like Ethan did, but not completely.
Jason cutting the cord
Next, the story of her name:
We had a lot of trouble picking for her--there are so many great girl name choices. We wanted an A name to name her after Jason's great-grandma Ann. I wanted something a little more unique (there are several Ethan's in his school). We settled on Alaina because we loved the way it sounded. It means peaceful and/or precious, depending on the name book you use. Her middle name is my great aunt's name, who was a wonderful, generous woman that has a special place in my heart. Also, both Ann and Madeline were great bakers--so Alaina has a lot to live up to, I think she will love to bake!
We had lots of visitors in the hospital, including great grandma and great grandpa.
So beautiful!! I love hearing the story of her birth and her name!
ReplyDelete