Saturday, May 27, 2017

Heritage Day

Last week, the second grad class celebrated "Heritage Day".  It was actually a very cute celebration of different cultures at the school (although admittedly, his school is not very "diverse").  In preparation for the day, Ethan had a different "homework" project each week...and it was all on display in the classroom.

Here are a select number of Ethan's projects:


A doll representing an ancestor from Russia, and what Ethan would bring, if her were emigrating.



A poem Ethan wrote about himself

Family "Artifacts"


After the classroom tour, all the kids brought a food item that represented their heritage.  Of course, by the time I signed up, all the side dishes and desserts were gone....all the stay at home moms beat me to the list....leaving me with "main dish".  I tried not to be dismayed..and seriously thought about going to Ikea and buying a bag of Swedish meatballs...but in the end, decided on bratwurst.   Funny enough, brats are pretty unusual around here, unusual enough to qualify for heritage day, anyhow.  So,  I grilled them in the morning and brought them to school in a crock pot with just a little bit of beer in the bottom.    Well, they were a huge hit!  Ha! I was proud of my ability to pull it off.

Overall, it was a nice celebration, and good to see the kids thinking about their ancestors and they way things used to be.  Of note, I will be saving everything for Alaina!

No comments:

Post a Comment