Sunday, January 21, 2018

Parenting



On Friday night, when I came home from work, Ethan had one of those rare moments when he opened up to me.   Mostly, I never hear much about school, or his friends, or much of anything, no matter what I ask.

On Friday, he told me that his class had its second student council elections.   Ethan had run for the second time in the year, and was dismayed at losing again.

He told me, "I will never win.  I am just not popular.   Probably I am the only person who voted for me."

Poor guy.  It is hard to see your kid go through something like this.  I considered it, and answered him  by telling him that I was not so popular when I was his age.  In fact, I was never elected onto student council--and I only had the heart to run (and lose) once, so I was proud of him for trying again.   I also told him not to worry, because, some day he would be popular.  

What, you BECAME popular??   Well, yes, kind of, relatively speaking.   I told him I was never as popular as I was now.   Now I go to work and everyone wants to talk to me.   And I come home, and again everyone vies for my attention..."Mommy"  "Mommy".   I have to say, popularity is perhaps a bit overrated.  

But I also know that it wont last too long, and before I know it my kids will not want to talk to me.   SO, I will take what I can get.

As for Ethan, I think it is a good life lesson.   I have no doubt that someday he will be very popular and successful.  Just not yet.   Its better not to peak too soon anyway.



1 comment:

  1. This! This! This! I can related to this in oh so many ways. Love you cousin so glad to be parenting with you even if we are miles and miles apart.

    ReplyDelete