My Aunt Judith passed away on Friday Jun 18. She was 69 years old. Judith has always been a favorite aunt, to both me and my kids.
Judith had been sick for a long time with heart failure, which she developed at a young age secondary to treatment side effects from lymphoma in her 30s. Also secondary to the lymphoma, she was never able to have children of her own. Her husband Dan died suddenly and tragically on a golf course in 2005, and she was never really recover from that, I don't think. Ethan's middle name is Daniel after him.
She was evaluated for a heart transplant a little over two years ago, but was deemed too frail even at that time to be a transplant candidate. She was a fighter though, and managed to outlive her predicted life expectancy by many months.
I have a lot of memories of Judith. Here are a few that come to mind.
Judith was always an animal lover. I remember she always put stickers of dogs and cats on my birthday card envelopes growing up. She had both a dog and a cat when I was younger, and more recently a dog that she loved dearly. About 2 years ago, she realized that she could no longer care for her dog with her illness, so she gave it to a friend.
Judith, like many Ferschl's was an "early bird". In the years after her husband died, she would meet up with friends at the local shopping mall to "mall-walk" in the wee hours of the morning before the stores opened. They would do laps around the indoor mall--perfect for cold Wisconsin winter mornings. Once, one of her friends even submitted a piece to Newsweek magazine about their hobby--and Judith was featured in a picture!
Judith made a fantastic chocolate cake, which she would bring to many family events when I was growing up. I am sure it has been a while since she had the energy to bake, but boy they were delicious! I remember family events at her home in Wisconsin--a big farm house that her and Dan purchased before his death. Dan loved trains, and there was a whole room in that house devoted to train memorabilia. I remember going there once for Thanksgiving and having ham instead of turkey, because Judith didn't really care much for turkey!
Judith always remembered Ethan and Alaina. When my grandma was alive and we went to visit her, Judith always made sure to stock chocolate milk for the kids as a special treat. She remembered their birthdays and always gave them a little something for Christmas too.
Finally, I remember how although she was really sick, she was desperate to vote in the November 2020 election to help oust Trump. She did everything to make it to the ballot box, and was elated when Biden won. I am sure glad that she got to see that.
We last spoke on Mother's Day. At the time she told me how much she loves reading this blog and keeping up with our family. I am glad we could connect that way and I am so sad to think she won't be able to read this week's update.
Like many Ferschl's, Judith was stubborn, and never wanted to draw attention to herself. She didn't want extra help at home, even as she got weaker and weaker. This spring, she was still mowing her expansive lawn, with a ride-on lawn mower. The night before she died, she told a friend she was not feeling well, but insisted on not calling any family or going to the ER. The next day, she didn't show up to go shopping. My uncle found her collapsed in her bedroom. I can only hope she went peacefully.
So, rest in peace, Aunt Judith. You will be dearly missed.

No comments:
Post a Comment