Monday, June 23, 2025

Retirement Dinner

 On Friday night this weekend, I hosted a retirement dinner for one of my colleagues and mentors, Dr. Claire Brett.  I first got to know Claire 20 years ago as an anesthesia resident, but by then she was more than halway done with her tie at UCSF--she has been there for 49 years!

Although she officially retired 10 years agao, she was still workiong clinically several days per month on "recall" which is kind of like per diem for retired faculty.

Anyhow, she decided that as of July 1, she was not even going to be doing that.   So, I thought it would be nice to recognize her with some of our colleagues, so we hosted a dinner for 12.

It turned out great, actually, and we gave Claire a photo book peppered with photos from over the years, and letters to her children.  We heard lots of funny stores from the "olden days".   A career well done, for sure!



Claire was always the type of person to just tell thing like they are.   No sugar coating.   She was kind but could also be fierce, and she never hesitated to stand up for what she beleived in.  She also was an amazing mom--raising very successful 2 boys, who are now in their mid-thirties.   Over the years, she taught me a lot about parenting too!

I will certainly miss her presence in our division!





No comments:

Post a Comment