Monday, June 10, 2013

Vegetable Attempt



I have never grown a vegetable in my life.   My mom always used to plant flowers, but never vegetables.  But last fall when we had our front yard landscaped, there was a lot of leftover dirt, and we has a small raised vegetable garden built.  Enter spring, and since I was still on maternity leave I decided to plant it.   I bought a few types of tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, strawberries and a watermelon, and planted them.   Also got some seeds for peas, pumpkins, and sunflowers, because why not?

I watered every day, and though we had some early casualties, a lot seemed to take root.  Now several of the tomatoes even have flowers.   It is quite crowded though....oops.

Last week was hot and dry and we were going to be away for a few days, so Jason even set up drip irrigation to the garden.  I was quite impressed.

Just recently, I stumbled across a vegetable gardening book in the library.  (yes, I probably should have pre-read before planting...sigh).   It warned me that corn needs lots of corn for cross pollination.  So, likely we will not get any ears from the stalks.  I also learned how to properly stake tomatoes (which I definitely didn't do right this year).   So we will see what, if any veggies, we get.   But at least I am learning for next year....



1 comment:

  1. Looks great! You're going to love that fresh produce!!!

    Also, your thumbsuckers are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete