The kids had a fun time celebrating Halloween last Wednesday. For the first time ever, they both were in the same Halloween parade, and I got to attend both Halloween classroom parties. This will happen exactly once, as Ethan will attend middle school next year. Sigh.
This year, Ethan dressed up like his favorite NBA player: Kyrie Irving. (Why an earth he picked him is beyond me, though he does have an obsession with Boston sports team since he “used to live there”).
Alaina’s costume was a little more dramatic. Two weeks before Halloween, I took her out to pick a costume. She chose a character from the cartoon “Paw Patrol”. Unfortunately, the store we were at did not have the costume in her size. I quickly looked it up on Amazon, found a bigger size and ordered it. Despite the fact that we have Prime, it was not due to arrive until the following Friday. But, no worries, as the first Halloween party was not until Saturday. Fast forward to Friday. I walked into the house after a long day at work, to be greeted by Alaina, who immediately burst into tears because her costume did not arrive. Aargh. I logged onto Amazon and found it had been delayed with a new estimated delivery date of 10/30. To close to count on. I cancelled the order and promised her a trip to the Halloween store to look for an alternative choice the following day.
So, on Saturday, in the 90 minutes between soccer games 1 and 2 (of 3), the kids and I rushed to the Halloween store to pick something new. Now, I have never been to the Halloween store on the weekend before Halloween before, and I will do my best to never ever do that again. It was a mad house. Alaina settled on a strawberry shortcake costume. I found one in size 4-6…. but when I pulled it out of the package, the dress barely covered her bottom. Such is the treat of being tall. So, we frantically ran around the store to find another size. Problem was, the only one I could find was an extra small adult size. But since it was made to be slightly racy, it was short. In fact, it just covered Alaina’s knees (yes, this was an ADULT) costume. Though the chest was far too large, I decided that the best option was some home sewing and a ticket out of the Halloween store. So that was exactly what we did. But not before getting some tights—since of course the normal green and white striped tights didn’t come with the “adult” costume, and there didn’t sell them separately, so we had to settle on some Black and Green striped tights. All in all, it made for quite the costume:
In any event, the day of Halloween was a lot of fun. The kids wore their costumes to school, and had classroom parties, and a parade, which Jason and I were both able to attend (another small miracle).
In the evening, we trick or treated with some of Ethan’s friends.
The boys were on a mission for candy, and the kids took home quite a haul this year. Alaina kept up pretty well too. Check out their candy count at the end of the night:
Good thing we have a dental appointment coming up!
No comments:
Post a Comment